Gems of the Pink City: Local Eateries
Warning — street food gluttony ahead
You can’t talk about the old city of Jaipur and not mention its street food in the same breath. Doesn’t matter if you live in this city or are touristing about, these places should definitely be on your itinerary for the next excursion to the walled city. From spicy Chaat to sweet delicacies, quick snacks to a three-course meal, the food here is a people pleaser — something for everyone! While some eateries are world-renowned (no exaggeration), others have been under the radar, only known to the locals of the area, AKA people like me. Well, let me spill the beans and take you on a food trip to sugar and spice, everything nice.
- Khunteta Kachori — Their Aloo Kachori will leave you with a runny nose, hissing mouth, burning lips, and still, wanting for more. Don’t trust me? Try it for yourself and don’t forget to ask for their USP, the dry Pudina chutney.
Address: Shop №90, Kishanpole Bazar, Corner, Ankron Ka Rasta, Pink City, Jaipur, Rajasthan 302001
2. Samrat Restaurant — Trusted by the locals as the ultimate breakfast spot, the place serves the spongiest of Khamans, crispiest of piping hot Kesariya Jalebis, and a whole lot of Desi snacks — think Vada Pav, Kachori, Samosa, Bread Pakoda, Mirchi Vada and more.
Address: Shop №273, Choura Rasta, Pink City, Bapu Bazar, Biseswarji, Jaipur, Rajasthan 302003
3. Rawat Mishthan Bhandar — Pyaz ki Kachori, that’s it. Eat as many as you can, dip them in Imli chutney, get some packed for the next day and add a Mawa Kachori too, hog on it for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and if it’s still not enough, order more. I’m sure every Jaipurite would attest to my word.
Address: Station Road, in front of Polo Victory Hotel, Sindhi Camp, Jaipur, Rajasthan 302001
4. Opposite Saraogi Mansion — It’s my go-to for Sev Puri, Bhel Puri, and Bombay Sandwich. Blindly trust any hawker out of the many, ask the Bhaiya to make your order extra spicy (that’s how I like mine), and thank me later.
Address: MI Rd, Bapu Bazar, Biseswarji, Jaipur, Rajasthan 302003
5. Sharma Chaat Bhandar — Serving crispy, flavourful, heavenly, straight-out-of Kadhai Aloo Tikki, Sharma Chaat Bhandar is just the break you need between your shopping spree at Johari Bazar. Also a must-try — their gooey Dahi Bhalle.
Address: MSB Ka Rasta, Johri Bazar, Pink City, Jaipur, Rajasthan 302003
6. Choti Chaupar Kanji Vada — A dedicated old uncle haunches throughout the day and serves what can only be called a perfectly tangy, sour, and spicy Kanji (Kombucha water) with Dal Vada. It’s great to get you through summers and also works miraculously for your gut health.
Address: Choti Chaupar, Pink City, Rajasthan
7. Pandit Kulfi — From Rabri to Pista, Chocolate to Kesariya, this place has championed the art of Kulfis. What is also worth sampling are their recently introduced thick shakes in a variety of flavors.
Address: 110, Hawa Mahal Rd, Chandi Ki Taksal, J.D.A. Market, Sirahdeori Bazar, Jaipur, Rajasthan 302002
8. Ramchandra Kulfi Bhandar — This place guarantees hands down, the best Matka Kulfi experience in Jaipur. Loved by many generations alike, Ramchandra has preserved the authentic flavor of Rabri Kulfi. Visiting in winters? Also, try their right-off-the-burner Mishri Mawa.
Address: Opposite GTC Mall, Jaipur, Rajasthan, India
Address 2: Shop №222, 221, Tripolia Bazar, Pink City, Jaipur, Rajasthan 302002
9. Laxmi Mishthan Bhandar (LMB) — A people’s favorite since 1954, their Ghewars (Rabri and Paneer) are celebrated across the country. Bookmark my recommendations from their Chaat options — Aloo Tikki and Dahi Vada, and I’m sure you wouldn’t regret it.
Address: №98, 99, Johari Bazar Rd, Bapu Bazar, Biseswarji, Jaipur, Rajasthan 302003
10. Sambhar Fini Wala — Deep-fried threads of flour dipped in piping hot Chashni are hallmarks of Sakranti gifting. Trust Sambhar Fini Wala for exquisitely flavored Finis. While you’re at it, also taste their chocolate, strawberry, and Rabri Ghewars.
Address: Shop no 25, 26, 27, Ghee Walo Ka Rasta, Johri Bazar, Pink City, Jaipur, Rajasthan 302003
11. Narayan Ji Gajak Wale — Gajak is one winter delicacy that keeps Jaipurites going during the lazy months of cold. Be it Gud (Jaggery) Gajak or Moonphali Chikki (Peanut Bar), Narayan Ji Gajak Wale serve mouth-watering, soul-hugging, lip-smacking, and comforting Gajaks wrapped in years of experience and legacy.
Address: Shop no. 344, Johari Bazar Road, Pink City, Jaipur, Rajasthan, 302001
12. Mahaveer Rabri Bhandar — In my 21 years of existence, I haven’t had better Tikkad and smoky Aloo-Pyaaz ki Sabzi with such aromatic garlic flavor. Add on some good old Rabri and there you have your perfect dinner.
Address: Mishra Rajaji Ka Rasta, Chandpole Bazar, Chandpole, Pink City, Jaipur, Rajasthan 302001
13. Prem Prakash Samosa — Lovingly called PP Samosa by Jaipurites, it is the most-cherished Sunday snack in every household. With fresh mint and coriander infused in seasoned mashed potatoes, each Samosa is made to perfection. Pro tip: Don’t keep count, you want to avoid the guilt.
Address: Chaura Rasta Rd, New Gate, Bapu Bazar, Pink City, Jaipur, Rajasthan 302002
14. Indian Ice Cream and Kulfi Faluda — Kulfi topped with Sewaiyyan (sweet vermicelli), rose syrup and flavored ice cream is all that the heart desires after a long day of shopping at Bapu Bazar. Order a large cup of Faluda, enjoy it in their old-school parlor, and don’t share.
Address: 28, Link Road, Bapu Bazaar, MI Road, Jaipur
15. Sahu ki Chai — Start your day in the city with a Masala Chai at Sahu. From morning to noon, eve to noon, the place buzzes with people bonding over Kulhad Chai.
Address: Shop No, 365, Chaura Rasta Rd, Telepara, Bapu Bazar, Pink City, Jaipur, Rajasthan 302003
16. Indian Coffee House — Narrating the old-world charm through architecture, decorum, and menu, the place has witnessed many tales of friendships, love, and La Familia over generations now. Best on the menu: Dosa, omelet, coffee, chow mein, and Sambhar Vada.
Address: Ajmeri Gate, MI Rd, Near, Jaipur, Rajasthan 302001